Have questions regarding our genetic test panel for ASD?
Here's a list of our most frequently asked questions.
Autism Spectrum Disorder Overview
- Avoids or does not keep eye contact
- Lack of or loss of previously acquired speech, babbling or social skills
- Difficulty understanding other people’s feelings
- Persistent repetition of words or phrases (echolalia)
- Resistance to minor changes in routine or surroundings
- Repetitive behaviors (flapping, rocking, spinning, etc.)
- Unusual and intense reactions to sounds, smells, tastes, textures, lights and/or colors
Fragile X testing is available, and PCR is performed along with capillary electrophoresis for allele sizing. Samples positive for FMR1 CGG repeats in the premutation and full mutation size range have additional analysis via Southern blot to assess the size and methylation status. (These additional studies may require additional blood samples for the conformational Fragile X testing).
Microarray is available for deletion/duplication studies of gene(s) as reflex (add-on), or standalone tests and requires additional samples.
Collection Kit Information
Collection for the Autism Spectrum Disorders Panel is done through a simple, non-invasive oral swab, collected in the convenience of your home. Collection instructions can be found here.
Once you and your doctor have decided a genetic test is right for you or your child, your doctor will order a test kit to be shipped to your home.
- Saliva collection swab
- Instructions for collection
- Label to properly identify the patient sample
- Biohazard bag
- Small box to place the swab in for return shipping
- Biospecimen shipping bag to place the box in, for return shipping
- Return shipping label