About 1 in 6 children are living with a developmental delay (DD), including autism spectrum disorder (ASD), Fragile X syndrome (FXS), and intellectual disabilities (ID). With such a high prevalence it is very likely that you know a family (maybe your own) that has a member with a developmental delay. This could be the reason why, on this Giving Tuesday, you wish to support an organization that focuses on helping neurodiverse individuals live their best lives.
To help you decide on whom you’d like to donate to, we’ve outlined the following organizations based on their active involvement in neurodevelopmental causes.
Merlin’s Magic Wand
- Their mission: To deliver three million magical experiences to eligible children and their families with their magical programs by 2025, this includes sending children to attractions such as LEGOLAND®, Madame Tussauds, and SEA LIFE Aquariums – it’s called Magical Days Out.
- Why donate: You will help create magical experiences for children who need them most. Families who want to apply for these magical events can do so here!
- Where to donate: https://www.merlinsmagicwand.org/usa/support-us/donation-form/
- Their mission: To provide respite, resources, and support to parents and guardians of children with special needs or life-threatening medical conditions where they will be refreshed, restored, and renewed in their role as caregivers.
- Why donate: You will provide parents/guardians of children with special needs with access to self-care resources, ranging from meditation and care packages to meal deliveries, parents’ night out, weekend respites, and various activities, aiming to alleviate caregiver burnout.
- Where to donate: https://www.davidsrefuge.org/support/donate/
The Miracle Project
- Their mission: To create a community where the authentic voices, passions, and stories of neurodivergent individuals with and without disabilities are celebrated, elevated, supported, and belong.
- Why donate: Their program offers a fully inclusive theater, film, and expressive arts program focused on building communication, self-esteem, and life skills for neurodivergent and disabled individuals. Your donation can provide semester scholarships, art supplies, summer camps, and one-on-one training and support.
- Where to donate: http://themiracleproject.org/donate/
National Fragile X Foundation
- Their mission: To create a world where every family is empowered to successfully navigate the Fragile X journey.
- Why donate: You will help connect families to resources, education, and support while helping NFXF advocate for new therapies, more research, and more resources needed to help families living with FXS thrive.
- Where to donate: https://fragilex.org/donate/
TACA – The Autism Community in Action
- Their mission: To provide education, support, and hope to families living with autism.
- Why donate: Your donation will help provide education and support, in the form of conferences, webinars, parent mentor programs, scholarships, and more.
- Where to donate: https://tacanow.org/donate/
The Association for Autism and Neurodiversity
- Their mission: To help autistic and similarly neurodivergent people build meaningful, connected lives by providing individuals, families, and professionals with education, community, and support in an inclusive atmosphere of validation and respect.
- Why donate: Help the network provide information, education, support, and advocacy to adults, families, friends, and professionals to help neurodiverse individuals belong and thrive.
- Where to donate: https://aane.org/support-us/#
Autism Science Foundation
- Their mission: To support autism research by providing funding and other assistance to scientists and organizations conducting, facilitating, publicizing, and disseminating autism research.
- Why donate: Your donation can aid scientists at the forefront of autism research in gaining insights into a diagnosis through genetic discovery, early warning signs, diagnostic biomarkers, interventions, and gender and racial disparities.
- Where to donate: https://autismsciencefoundation.org/donate/
The Autistic Women & Nonbinary Network
- Their mission: To provide community support, and resources for Autistic women, girls, transfeminine and transmasculine nonbinary people, trans people of all genders, Two Spirit people, and all people of marginalized genders or of no gender.
- Why donate: Your generous donation helps AWN to continue its work furthering the neurodiversity movement with a commitment to disability justice, transformative justice, and gender justice.
- Where to donate: https://awnnetwork.app.neoncrm.com/forms/5
The Autistic Self Advocacy Network
- Their mission: To advance the principles of the disability rights movement with regard to autism. ASAN believes that the goal of autism advocacy should be a world in which autistic people enjoy equal access, rights, and opportunities. They work to empower autistic people across the world to take control of their lives and the future of their common community and seek to organize the autistic community to ensure their voices are heard in the national conversation about them.
- Why donate: Your donation helps to advance the disability rights movement and to better serve the Autistic community. It puts the voice of autistic people at the forefront of advocacy, policy, research, and language directly from the Autistic community.
- Where to donate: https://secure.everyaction.com/uEXr_TqeBkqmQMlvi7itXg2
Autism Society of America
- Their mission: To create connections, empowering everyone in the Autism community with the resources needed to live fully. As the nation’s oldest leading grassroots Autism organization, the Autism Society and its 70+ affiliates serve over half a million members of the Autism community each year.
- Why donate: Your donation can help to support national program development including training for employers and first responders, or provide support from their national helpline.
- Where to donate: https://secure.givelively.org/donate/autism-society-of-america-bethesda-md/giving-tuesday-for-autism-society-of-america